Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween


Halloween Eve is such a busy day in my house. It consists of baking all day, preparing music to scare the children and creating delicious candied apples. My family loves this holiday. Aside from the fact that they are all candy addicts, they thrive on being frieghtned. On Saturday night, my husband could not wait to go to the Haunted House in Bayville with the kids. He' s nuts! As they waited on line, their fear began to settle within. My husband was prepared to strike for protection. It was so much fun to watch. I, on the other hand am not that crazy. There is no need for me to be walking through a haunted house in the dark not knowing where I am, or feeling like someone is breathing down my neck. As my husband walked in one of the rooms, he felt like there was something around him. Sure enough, it was a scary being that made him jump. His heart almost hit the floor. As my husband and family came out of the house, I could see their white faces glow in the dark.

So, today as Halloween slowly passed by, I enjoyed the scary music, watching all the cute little children in their costumes and seeing my husband's excitement from all the candy my daughter received. They never grow up!


Here is a cute poem:


Haunted House

By Jack Prelutsky

There's a house upon the hilltop

We will not go inside

For that is where the witches live,

Where ghosts and goblins hide.

Tonight they have their party,

All the lights are burning bright,

But oh we will not go inside

The haunted house tonight.

The demons there are whirling

And the spirits swirl about.

They sing their songs to Halloween.

"Come join the fun," they shout.

But we do not want to go there

So we run with all our might

And oh we will not go inside

The haunted house tonight.


consist (verb)-to be made up of; to be comprised of

thrive (verb)-to prosper; to be successful

protection (noun)- to take care of someone; the act of protecting

haunted (adjective)- supposedly visited by ghosts
demon (noun)- an evil spirit; a mean person

whirling (verb)- to turn around rapidly; to spin


The police are supposed to be around for _________.

Some people say that cemetary's are ___________ with __________.

Artists _________when they produce and sell a new work of art.

Halloween _______of lots of candy and scary costumes.

The ghosts like to go __________through the dark skies.


*Grammer point

A superlative compares three or more nouns. This takes the comparison of nouns to the highest degree. An example would be: “My mother’s cooking is the best.”

One syllable words - add “est” to the word. Remember that it is sometimes necessary to double the final consonant. Examples are: strong to strongest and big to biggest.
One syllable words ending with an “e” - only add “st” like fine to finest or rare to rarest.
Two syllable words ending with a “y” - change the “y” to an “i” and add “est.” Two examples are crazy to craziest and silly to silliest



Can you add superlatives to the poem above.

Example: The greatest house is upon the Hilltop

For that is where the scariest witches live




2 comments:

  1. You know it's so funny that you and I have never talked about Halloween... for years Halloween was crazy in our house, too. We decorated our house with all sorts of ghoulish figures, etc. The kids loved it!!! Graduate school has not afforded me the time to do all that fun stuff and I miss it. Last night we took Bailey and her friend to a house in the neighborhood that draws crowds from all over. It was a scarey good time. Oh, how I love Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im like you I will NEVER go to that haunted house!

    ReplyDelete